Amateur Radio License Exams
for the Dallas - Fort Worth Texas Area
Updated 11/02/18 12:39
send/call updates/questions to
WR3J or 214 614 8980

Our DARC 9AM test session is held in the 2nd floor cafeteria of Business Jet Center, 8611 Lemmon Ave .Go to Lemmon Ave at Lovers Lane(traffic light). The entrance is the fourth cut(left turn) northwest on Lemmon Ave, look for the three flagpoles near the top of the hill.
From the three flagpole driveway entrance, drive straight back to customer parking. The main doors are under the canopy, on the right near the airport fence.
Take the elevator to the second floor and turn left to the cafeteria. Business Jet Center is an FBO and secure FAA facility. Please stay within the public lobby and cafeteria testing area.

Walk-ins are always welcome at our monthly second Saturday test sessions.
We have space, supplies, and time available for ten applicants.
We can be prepared for more if you let us know how many to expect from your study group or class a day before the session.

2018 schedule: Nov10 Dec08 Note: The session IS NOT held in the Love Field Terminal on Cedar Springs/Herb Kelleher Way!
If you are heading west on Mockingbird Lane, the Lemmon Ave access is on the right just before the traffic light and you will see the open airfield area.
All Applicants Must Provide Adequate ID - every applicant is required to provide sufficient identification to prove his/her identity. A legal photo ID like a driver's license, passports, government agency/work IDs, some school IDs, etc. will do this. Persons without photo IDs, and/or young persons must supply TWO forms of alternate identification such as: Non-photo ID/driver's license; a Social Security Card; a Birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal); Minor's work permit or school report card; Utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that specifically names the person; A postmarked envelope addressed to the person indicating the same mailing address as shown on Form 605; or an employment ID.

Your FRN or SSN is required on your application. You are encouraged to register for your FRN before your first test session at . Recent licenses have your FRN printed below your address. If you already have an FRN, please use it on your application! You may safely use your SSN, with no delay, and we don't keep SSNs in our files.

Photocopies. If you are upgrading your current license. Make and bring a photocopy of each credit document, like current license, grandfathered (pre 1987 tech) license, expired general, advanced, or extra class license, test session CSCE, FCC letter, or callbook page. Also bring the originals, they must match the photocopies that we submit with your application. You always keep the originals.

Bring BLACK or BLUE INK pen (REQUIRED on APPLICATION FORM 605 and CSCE) and pencils (ok for answersheets only). A NON-PROGRAMMABLE calculator with cleared memory if needed. Some teams allow a retest (another fee applies) if you miss by a few questions. Cramming in the hallway with study material kept in your car may be helpful. $14 or $15 fee in bills is appreciated and helps making change for the occasional $20 bill. No checks please.
License Class
Elements Required
Technician 2
General 2 + 3
Extra 2 + 3 + 4
Fee per session 2018 $15 or $14
Failed exam retest, if available: new fee
Test Element
(download pdf)
- Questions -
Exam Pass Pool Effective
2 Technician written '14 35 26+ 426 July '14 thru June '18
3 General written '15 35 26+ 462 July '15 thru June '19
4 *Extra written '16 50 37+ 713 July '16 thru June '20
* .doc export as .pdf
ELEMENT CREDITS - Even for Expired Licenses
Original Document:Credit:Valid:
CSCE - marked Ele 2Ele 2within 365 days of issue
CSCE - marked Ele 3Ele 3
CSCE - marked Ele 4Ele 4
LICENSE - Technician, General, or AdvancedEle 210 yr license term
2 yr grace for renewal
LICENSE - General or AdvancedEle 3
LICENSE - ExtraEle 4
LICENSE - TechnicianEle 3issued before 3/21/1987
LICENSE - General or Advanced or ExtraEle 3holder of expired license
LICENSE - Amateur ExtraEle 4
No operating privileges during the grace period, operator class and callsign may be canceled after grace period

July 21, 2014- The FCC offers partial credit to an examinee that has an expired general, advanced, or extra class license, in addition to the previous general exam credit (element 3) for a technician license issued before 3/21/1987.

No credit for expired CSCEs or element 2. Previous license holders must take the current 35-question Technician exam at a VE exam session to return to Amateur Radio. The FCC will issue a new call sign and a new license when the Technician exam is passed.

An EXPIRED license can be verified if an applicant presents any of the following:
-- Per FCC Rule 97.505(a), an original or copy of an original expired FCC issued General, Advanced or Extra license as indicated on the license.
-- A REFERENCE COPY of the license printed from the FCC ULS license database or FCC archive database located on the FCC website at
-- If licensed in the mid-'70s or after, FCC will issue a 'License Verification Letter' indicating that the applicant was licensed. The FCC stated any requests for verification must be submitted in writing to: FCC, ATTN: Amateur Section, 1270 Fairfield Rd, Gettysburg, PA 17325. The request must include name, address, telephone number, date of birth, call sign issued at that time, and when the license was granted (if exact date is not known, give the approximate timeframe). The FCC asks those inquiring to include any information that may be helpful in researching these requests, but it does not need to know details of the examination session, such as where the test was administered or who gave it. "These requests must be researched on microfiche, so they will be very time-consuming," an FCC spokesperson said, adding that no one should expect an overnight response.
-- For 1966 or more recent records, the FCC's research retrieval service contractor, Best Copy & Printing, Inc. (BCPI), will obtain the General, Advanced or Extra license certification from FCC records. There is a charge for this service. For assistance in purchasing copies of FCC documents, please contact BCPI directly. Phone: 202-488-5300 or 1-800-378-3160. TTY: 202-488-5562. Fax: 202-488-5563. Email: Web:
-- A 1967 Edition, or later, Radio Amateur Callbook listing is acceptable as proof provided the 'G' (General), 'A' (Advanced) or 'E' (Extra) license class appears on the page next to the call sign listing. Only Callbooks issued Fall 1967 or later will show the license class. Be sure to copy the year of publication reference, if not printed on the page.
This was quoted from the ARRL post.,,, and others may still offer an acceptable callbook lookup service.
At VE exam sessions it is the applicant (not the VEs or coordinating VEC) who is responsible for supplying the evidence of holding valid expired license credit.

Frequently Asked Amateur Radio Questions
Why is the test fee $14 or $15?
There is no longer an FCC set fee. Each VEC now sets their own annual test fee. The processing is the same, but you may have a personal preference of which VEC to use.
I had a Novice license that is long since expired. But, it looks like my 5 wpm morse code qualification is still valid. Is that correct?
As of 2/23/07 - Morse Code Test or Credit No Longer Required for ANY Amateur Radio License
I'd like to take both the Technician Class and General Class exams at the same time, is there any problem with me taking both tests the same morning?
No problem at all, you can take element 2, 3, and 4 at the same setting for the single fee. If you fail an element, you can even try again, if the VEs allow retests, but then there will be a second fee.
Comment- Once you feel comfortable with your Element 2 study, consider spending some time on element 3. The material is similar enough that you can pass both at the same session and leave with a General Class license! Now that the word is out, about 1/3 of new applicants are studying and passing 2 and 3 at their first session.
Looks like the upcoming session is at a different location, is there a map, and what time is the test?
Visit my webpage at It has links to Google Maps for many session locations as well as test session times.
Sorry, removed map links, try your luck with street address and zips given. Keep in mind Business Jet is NOT IN Bachman Creek!
If I pass my exam for a new ham license, how much is the FCC fee?
The exam fee you paid covers your application processing too. The FCC does not charge an application fee for new or renewed ham licenses. But the FCC does charge a fee (fee cancellation pending) for "vanity callsign" applications and renewals
Some VECs may offer license renewal for a fee as a convenience, or reminder that your license is about to expire. You can renew on yourself for no charge.
I passed my exam a week ago but have not found my license on the FCC license search. Why is it late?
The FCC has a 10 working day goal to grant licenses. This is a GOAL, they can actually take up to the full 365 days the CSCE is valid.
Count your lucky stars if you took your exam Saturday and your license is in the FCC database Monday. Your VE team, VEC, and FCC did a lot of paperwork correctly in a short period of time. Do be patient when it doesn't work that well.
What else delays applications?
Errors in your application require correction before continuing. Federal holidays and vacation schedules, especially first two weeks of July, add to processing. FCC computer problems can shut down all processing indefinitely.
I lost my CSCE, how can I get a replacement?
Are you sure you need it? Under the new rules, there are three licenses and three exams, so as you pass an exam, you move to the next class. Most get their new license in a week or so, and that license represents the credits you passed. In only two cases would you need a CSCE. You are upgrading at a session in the week or so before your new license arrived, or somehow you passed elements out-of-order. The only other credit document would be a pre 3/21/1987 tech license for element 3 (or expired general, advanced, extra credit). Contact the VE team where you received the CSCE, they can make a copy of their copy of your CSCE.
I have held a Technician Class license since 04/11/80 and was wondering what I need to do to upgrade to the General Class license?
You will need a copy of any of your tech licenses issued before 3/21/87.
To upgrade you need: 1. photocopy of pre 87 tech license, 2. photocopy of your current license, 3. $15 or $14 test session fee, and 4. photo id
Go to any ve test session for a "pre87 tech element 3 credit" upgrade to general class.
Same time & fee you can take the extra exam, correctly answer 37 of the 50 questions to upgrade to extra. You can download the question pools here.
If you don't have a copy of your pre-87 license, find one of the following: A photocopy of a callbook page showing your listing, callsign, license class, and date of the callbook (any between 1980 - 1986). Or send a letter to the FCC requesting proof of licensing of technician class before 3/21/87. Or buy a copy of callbook page from QCWA or ARRL.
I have the 5 minute code credit and the General test passed, it was my understanding that I just need to provide pre-1987 evidence of a tech license to a VE?
Morse code and code credit is no longer required for ANY ham license.
A ve test session requires 3 ves to be present to do the paperwork. You can find dates and times on my webpage at There are many test sessions each month in the Dallas Ft Worth area.
Thanks again for your time today administering the test.(Saturday)
Thanks, appreciate your comment and will share it with our ve team. You can do a license search by name (last, first) at:
and start operating as soon as your license and callsign is granted.
Serving as a ve is our way of contributing to a great hobby, hope you enjoy the many facets of ham radio.
I was unable to find the testing location. Do I need to go west from the Love Field entrance?
The Perpetual mystery question finally answered! (can't find you) Our session is NOT ON the Love Field Terminal driveway (Herb Kelleher Way) or IN the DAL terminal. Go to Lemmon Ave at Lovers Lane (traffic light), continue northwest to 8611 Lemmon (near top of hill).
AND ONE MORE! Folks are waiting for the doors to open? Business Jet Terminal is a 24/365 facility. Make the turn from Lemmon Ave onto the driveway, drive straight back (~800ft) to the last big white building on the right, see canopy, see sliding doors?
Saturday you said the the calls would be in the FCC database Monday. It's Monday and still not there.
Sorry. I said starting Monday you can go to, do a license search by name, last comma first. If you get a match, and the address matches, you may start using your call. You'll get a printed copy of your license in about 10 days from the FCC- (no more, log into your ULS account and print your pdf)
Next working day grants is long gone (except maybe a large event that provisioned an FCC presence. 2-4 days is average.
I'd like to take the ham radio licensing exam on (date), how can I prepare for it?
Download the question pool pdfs from our webpage at: Study the question and (only) the correct answer. Take on-line practice exams until you consistently make at least 80% correct. and sell study books, CD's, and programs. Try local electronics and book stores. Be sure the material is for the CURRENT 4 year pool date.
I was the first one here this morning. Why are others leaving with their completed paperwork before me?
Sorry, it just isn't a first in- first out queue. It's more like a bubble sort. This morning 10 applicants gave us, the 4 VE's, 10 applications, 4 license photocopies, 10 signup sheets, 20 ids, 10 test fees, 17 answersheets, that at least 3 ves each needed to verify or grade. That required 8 CSCEs be completed from the 8 applications and each certified with the signature of 3 VEs for a new or upgraded license. The FCC requires that every process be verified by at least three VEs for integrity of the VEC program. And they do not want defective applications, that cause long delays for them to correct, and a long wait for your license grant. We really make every effort to work ahead to be sure you are not waiting for your next exam, or your completed paperwork.
(grin) While peacefully overcoming that everyone came with a $20 bill in hand, didn't bring the photocopy of their current license, filled out a federal form in purple or green ink or pencil, circled the answers, made all kinds of marks on the question sheet, and as we misplaced another completed answer sheet, Mike really didn't take element 2 twice, Mike, his son took the other, the name is spelled wrong on this csce, the address is wrong on this csce, he took this version of the test last month
Serving as a VE, no matter how the session went, there is nothing like the satisfaction of seeing someone pass!
I am thinking of taking the exams tomorrow, but I am curious as to how long it usually takes? I have to be at work at 12:00. I would like to take the Technician and general exams.
Your time to take exams + our 15 minutes to complete the paperwork. Most folks taking ele 2 and/or ele 3 and start at 9am are done by 10am. We can start as soon as 3 examiners show up, which can be as early as 8:45am. We only have use of the space until 11:30am.
I completed an application to become a Volunteer Examiner. How and where do I find a sponsoring Contact VE to sign my ve application?
Take your completed, signed ve application with license photocopy to the test session where you plan to regularly assist. The CVE can sign and include your ve application with the test session results to the VEC. Remember to include a check to the VEC if you are buying their product, rule book, colorful certificate, etc.
While you're here, you can get an idea what it takes to convert all these nervous faces to busy faces, filling out forms, taking exams, and smiling faces leaving with a piece of paper showing they achieved their goal.

Most folks tend to study the question pools or on-line sample exams (free). Memorizing a question and correct answer, and passing the exam will be enough to keep you from breaking FCC rules, or damaging your equipment, or yourself. Your license indicates you should be able to safely try all the facets of a great hobby. You can become an expert in the areas you most like later.

Also visit several local radio clubs for help, maybe find used equipment, some clubs specialize, but all welcome visitors. All the best with your study,

Larry, WR3J